Not sure if it just me, but after my second child my self esteem has been running low. I am constantly surrounded by skinny beautiful perfect moms. They are so enchanting seeming like they have it all together. While here I am at 11:30 am dealing with my screaming toddler, who is mad because I’m trying to use the toilet while he wants to climb me like I’m a jungle gym. I have no makeup on, no bra on, hair is up in a a sloppy medusa style, and in pants that are a size too big just so I can be comfy. I look in the mirror and am disgusted with my face, my flab, my stretch marks, my scars. All while picking up my kindergartner from school seeing the pretty perky moms, feeling like I’m judged.
But what I’ve come to realize is who the fuck cares? My husband loves me for me. He tells me constantly how beautiful and sexy I am, and shows me. I am me! Yes I have gained weight, bt I’ve dealt with more shit in the last 5 years than most can imagine. I’ve lost family members, I almost lost my husband while 6 months pregnant. I’ve had struggles and I’ve had wins. I found out I have fatty liver disease, I had my gall bladder taken out when my first child was 6 months old. There were complications so I struggle with the massive scar that runs across my body from being ripped open. But here is the best part. Those “perfect” moms we see, they aren’t perfect. They just hide the mess better. I will never be fake this is me, a true woman, a true mother. Love me or hate me. But damn it I have earned my stripes! Rawr!
Ingredients for Cupcakes
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs plus one large egg yolk at room temp
- 1/4 cup boiling hot water
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
Ingredients for the frosting
- 1 cup fresh strawberries roughly chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
INSTRUCTIONS for the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degree, Line 14 cupcake mold tins with paper liners, and lightly spray the liners with non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, set aside
- In a small bowl combine the milk and sour cream, mix well to combine, set aside.
- In a large bowl using hand mixer beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, it will take about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs and egg yolk (one at a time). Reduce mixer to low and in mixture alternating with sour cream and milk mixture. Stir in the hot water, beating until well combined.
- Place diced strawberries and reaming flour in a small bowl and toss them well to coat. Fold the strawberries and any remaining flour into the batter stirring until all combined.
- Fill the prepared cupcake tins 3/4 of the way full, as they will rise. Bake in the preheated oven for around 23 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center is clean. Once done set to side to cool.
INSTRUCTIONS for Frosting
- Combine strawberries and lemon juice in a saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, stir the mixture occasionally breaking up the berries. Repeat until it looks like thick jam. Allow mixture to cool completely once done.
- When strawberries mix is cool, make the buttercream
- Place the softened butter in a large bowl. With a handheld mixer, beat butter at medium speed until completely smooth. Add in 3 tbsp of the strawberry puree and beat until combined.
- Add in the confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time. Then add in cream and salt as needed, beating on high for a full two minutes to thicken up the frosting. Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired.
I wanted to start this blog so that I can put my spin on life, and how busy things get. I am a stay at home mom, and I love to cook. I am always looking for recipes on Pinterest or making my own up as I go. This will of course be a little more than just cooking, I will be giving tips and trying out hacks as I go. Some of this we will learn together, as I am not a trained chef or a professional blogger. I am just a mom of two young children, who stays busy with life.
One thing that drives me insane is seeing these “super women” on food network or other blogs. Please, that is not real. I will not be fake. I know being a mother and a wife is hard work and I am sure most of you know as well, or even if you are a stay at home dad. Let’s have fun on this journey!