Ingredients for Cupcakes
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs plus one large egg yolk at room temp
- 1/4 cup boiling hot water
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
Ingredients for the frosting
- 1 cup fresh strawberries roughly chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
INSTRUCTIONS for the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degree, Line 14 cupcake mold tins with paper liners, and lightly spray the liners with non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, set aside
- In a small bowl combine the milk and sour cream, mix well to combine, set aside.
- In a large bowl using hand mixer beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, it will take about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs and egg yolk (one at a time). Reduce mixer to low and in mixture alternating with sour cream and milk mixture. Stir in the hot water, beating until well combined.
- Place diced strawberries and reaming flour in a small bowl and toss them well to coat. Fold the strawberries and any remaining flour into the batter stirring until all combined.
- Fill the prepared cupcake tins 3/4 of the way full, as they will rise. Bake in the preheated oven for around 23 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center is clean. Once done set to side to cool.
INSTRUCTIONS for Frosting
- Combine strawberries and lemon juice in a saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, stir the mixture occasionally breaking up the berries. Repeat until it looks like thick jam. Allow mixture to cool completely once done.
- When strawberries mix is cool, make the buttercream
- Place the softened butter in a large bowl. With a handheld mixer, beat butter at medium speed until completely smooth. Add in 3 tbsp of the strawberry puree and beat until combined.
- Add in the confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time. Then add in cream and salt as needed, beating on high for a full two minutes to thicken up the frosting. Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired.